My grace is sufficient for thee

Today I read an email from a missionary friend who is in China and is learning the art of story telling. This reminded me of Gladys Aylward, a missionary in China many years ago who used this method to share the Gospel there as well. Jesus often spoke in parables.

As a child, I remember watching the 1958 movie, "The Inn of the Sixth Happiness" and really enjoying it but it wasn't until years later after becoming a Christian that I realized this story was based on Gladys Aylward's life.

Briefly, Gladys was a British parlor maid who wanted to go to China and tell them about the Lord Jesus Christ. However, the Missionary Society would not send her so she saved her money and went anyway, alone, to a remote northern province. There she was hated, then loved and finally led 100 children to safety across the mountains just ahead of a Japanese invasion.

Last night also I had a troubling dream I was living enslaved in some type of communal living and everyone was trying to figure out how to escape. I awoke and prayed wondering what this meant and was reminded of what Jesus told Paul in 2 Corinthians 12, "My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness."

When I was a missionary in Berlin, I had opportunity to talk with folks who lived behind the iron curtain before the wall came down in 1989 and the Christians told me it was better behind the wall because their faith was stronger.

God has not given us a spirit of fear but of love, power and a sound mind, so as we live our lives in obedience to Him, we need not worry about tomorrow because His grace is sufficient when we put our trust in the Lord Jesus Christ.

2 Corinthians 12
7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.

9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.


UPDATE
Received the following email this morning - an encouragement! The comments are on this blog and on today's scripture reading of Luke 3:

Some of the words in The Bible are hard to pronounce!LOL. Remember when you recently read the geneology of all of them? Woo....that was tedious, I'm sure. You know, just like Jesus had to come down through a certain geneology, it seems the ones running for the office of Prez. seem to come down through a certain one. Ever notice? Imitation is all that Satan is, except in a sinful way.
I went to your blogspot, and if you want to learn storytelling, you can speak to a five year old I know.LOL! They can keep you at the edge of your seat, because your stomach is folded in half, due to the outrageous events that can happen in his stories.LOL. I just thought I'd give you a little comedy relief. Any way, I enjoyed it.
I enjoyed you singing psalm 23. I know that one by heart. It was the first thing I remember learning in The Bible. I also enjoyed your talk. You know that radio spot you do? You could do some thing like that on youtube. You could interview people or just give a life lesson. Of course, I don't want that to interfere with the reading. I enjoy that. I have learned more, by hearing the words, while following along. Like today....it said some thing about being content with your wages.......never heard that!LOL. All of this reading and following along is making the words shout! Thanks for your heartfelt song and that wonderful prayer.
Thanks, and I'm going to try not to e-mail too much, unless I sense sadness. Remember, others get overcome, and that is when we remember that when it's put into God's hands, then it is in perfect hands. He made the universe and all that is in it. Be strong and of good courage. I will place you in my prayers and ask that you place me in yours.
Child of The King,
Anony in NC

No comments: